Sunday, June 15, 2008

Virginia is for Lovers part 1

Most people who know me know that I am really into family history, otherwise known as genealogy. My dad's line goes back 5 generations and we hit a brick wall at Alfred Gilley. We just can't find his father. So I figured that if I was ever going to find any records that reveal who his parents are, I'd have to go to Henry County, Virginia and look. Lawrence and I flew into Richmond without any problems and checked into a motel. We went to church in Richmond on Sunday which was nice, but included several testimonies about ticks. On Monday I dropped Lawrence off at a golf course and I went to the Library of Virginia. I didn't find anything there, so on Tuesday we headed west to Henry County and found a room at the Hampton Inn. Gotta love that government discount!
It had the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in!



After searching the records in the courthouse in Martinsville we went to Ridgeway where the first Gilleys settled. The first Gilley was Frances Gilley and he owned 1100 acres of land in an area called Turkey Cock Creek.





Here is the actual Turkey Cock Creek




Here are some structures that still stand from the 1800s








Here's one that someone actually lives in. There are "No Trespassing" signs all over.

We found a Gilley living in the area who directed us to some little country cemeteries where we might find some Gilley information. We didn't find any, though.



This is a house that has been rebuilt, but has the original chimney from 1822. William Buck Gilley lived there.




1 comment:

Brooke said...

It's beautiful!!! How fun to go and see all of that history!!! Welcome to the bloging world Mom!!!